Enhancing local habitats
No specific actions are proposed in the short term, unless local residents and community groups want to do something.
There are a number of points relevant to the LGCHF, HCC & NHDC that should be brought to their attention. Other suggestions relate to individual gardens; a start should be made here with the Letchworth and District Gardeners Association.
• Build new homes with natural fencing separating gardens eg box/beech/hawthorn/dogrose hedging
• Open up underused space for wild nature plants and create community gardens like Hitchin
• Plant wild flowers, eg on roundabouts
• LGCHF not currently encouraging wildlife hedging – only yew, privet or laurel
• Encourage biodiversity by enhancing local habitats.
• To reduce potential loss of vital flora and fauna on which we depend (especially bees).
• To minimise damage to the complex ecosystem in which we live.